Session 4 21F.223 Listening, Speaking, and Pronunciation
PROFESSOR: So let's review prominence a little bit. The first thing you want to think about is content words versus function words, all right? You see a sentence. OK. How many stresses difference-- how many levels of stressors do we have? Four, right? First one unstressed, right? So which word do you not stress? Which syllables? AUDIENCE: Function words. PROFESSOR: Function words. Function words. And when you do not stress function words, what happened? What's the most important thing? AUDIENCE: Vowels get reduced. PROFESSOR: Vowels get reduced, right? Vowels get reduced. That's the most important thing. Vowels get reduced. OK, and what happens to content words, every content word? There is some stress, right? There's some stress on every content word, which means you're not going to reduce the vowel, right? The third level, you need to find out if you put equal amount of stress on every content word, you're going to go uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh. You're going to sound uh-uh-uh-uh. You don't want to sound that way, right? So you're going to put more stress, which is called prominence, on one word, right? And the fourth level is emphatic stress where you've got really high. Now, we talked about three instances, three categories that affect placement of prominent, right? Three things. The first thing? AUDIENCE: Last PROFESSOR: Last content word, last content word. New information, OK? And they usually come and-- new information is usually carried by the last content word, right? Not the function word. Information, new information, last content word. The second one-- and the example was something like, "here's a package for you," not "here's a package for you." Right? Here's a package for you. The second one? AUDIENCE: Emphasis. PROFESSOR: Emphasis. Emphatic, right? And the example was, "I am listening. I am listening. I am listening. I am listening." You would usually say, I'm listening, but you're going to emphasize "and." I am listening. OK. The third one? AUDIENCE: Construct. PROFESSOR: Huh? Construct? AUDIENCE: Contrasted. PROFESSOR: Contrasted, contrasted, right? Is it high or low? It is high or low. Intermediate English class. So three categories, but the basic principle is you emphasize the most important information, OK? That's the basic principle. You'd emphasize most important information. And English is unique in the sense that we use stress to differentiate the meaning, OK? So for instance, A, who did it? Then you would say, I did. I did. You would say, I did. You put stress on I did, right? I mean, nobody's going to say, "we did it" and "it was I who did it." It would not-- I mean, it sounds very-- nobody speaks that way, all right? But some other languages, think Italian, does it that way. OK, let's get some more exercise with the first category, stressing the-- what's the first one? Stressing-- AUDIENCE: Last content. PROFESSOR: Last content word. I mean, but that's not-- the basic principle for the first one is stressing new information, OK? New information. So this one, which word get stressed or prominent? This one. OK. Read this sentence on 1, 2, 3. AUDIENCE: I lost my hat. PROFESSOR: And so the prominence is hat, right? I lost my hat. And B. AUDIENCE: What kind of hat? Kind of. PROFESSOR: What? AUDIENCE: Kind of. PROFESSOR: What kind of hat? OK, we're going to get rid of-- OK, fast speech and fast-- we're going to get rid of D, OK? Link this together and get rid of the two. So, what kind of hat? AUDIENCE: What kind of hat? PROFESSOR: What kind of hat? AUDIENCE: What kind of hat? PROFESSOR: Kind-uh. AUDIENCE: Kind-uh. PROFESSOR: What kind of hat? AUDIENCE: What kind of hat? PROFESSOR: OK. B, A. One more time, 1, 2, 3. AUDIENCE: It was a rain hat. PROFESSOR: OK. It was a-- OK, this becomes? AUDIENCE: It was. PROFESSOR: It was [INAUDIBLE]. AUDIENCE: It was a rain hat. PROFESSOR: OK, next. AUDIENCE: What color? PROFESSOR: What color rain hat? What color? Color, OK. What's the vowel here? The vowel, is it one or two? This one. One or two? AUDIENCE: One. PROFESSOR: What color? Color, color, what are you hearing? A-- one or two? What color? Color, color. One, color. This one? Color. Color. OK, what color? What color? AUDIENCE: What color? PROFESSOR: In our textbook, they're using the schwa. OK? What color rain hat? A? AUDIENCE: It was white. PROFESSOR: It was-- AUDIENCE: White. PROFESSOR: White, OK. Next? AUDIENCE: White with stripes. PROFESSOR: White with stripes. AUDIENCE: White with stripes. PROFESSOR: All right. What about B? [INTERPOSING VOICES] PROFESSOR: OK, so which one? AUDIENCE: Car. PROFESSOR: Car, right? In the car. There was a white hat with stripes in the car. Read it. [INTERPOSING VOICES] PROFESSOR: OK. There was a white hat-- AUDIENCE: There was a white hat. PROFESSOR: There was a white hat with stripes in the car. AUDIENCE: There was a white hat with stripes in the car. PROFESSOR: OK, A. AUDIENCE: Which car? PROFESSOR: Which car, right? Next one. AUDIENCE: The one I sold. PROFESSOR: The one I sold. AUDIENCE: The one I sold. PROFESSOR: OK. OK? OK. With your neighbor, do the next one. So you two, you two, you two, you two. you two, three. OK. [INTERPOSING VOICES] PROFESSOR: Are there. And the [INAUDIBLE] together, so it's hard. Hire-duh. AUDIENCE: Hired. PROFESSOR: Hire-duh. Yes, hire-duh. AUDIENCE: What's on the last one? AUDIENCE: [INAUDIBLE] on the last one? PROFESSOR: What do you think? AUDIENCE: I say both. PROFESSOR: Both. Both. Not both, both. AUDIENCE: Both? PROFESSOR: Both, right? Both. Why? AUDIENCE: [INAUDIBLE] PROFESSOR: Yes, the contrastive. Contrastive, right? Contrastive stress. OK. There was a question here, over here. What's the pronunciation of T-H-E. How do you say this? AUDIENCE: The. PROFESSOR: The one, the one. Right? And the question was why? Shouldn't that be "thee" one because that's a vowel, right? Well, I'm confused. It's a vowel, but how come you didn't say "thee?" Why do you say the here? AUDIENCE: Pronunciation. [INAUDIBLE] PROFESSOR: Yes. It starts with a W. One starts with-- it's not about the spelling. You say "thee" when it's followed by a vowel sound, not spelling. One starts with a W. One is like this or one, one. OK? It starts with a W sound. OK. So Europe, they'll work. Europe. University, it's a university, not it's "uh" university, right? A university. OK? And this is a European style, a European. I think I bought these in Korea, actually. OK. This one. AUDIENCE: When I listen to the radio, some people say "thee" United States instead of the United States. I don't get it. PROFESSOR: It's supposed to be the United States. The United States. The-- some people say "thee" United States? AUDIENCE: [INAUDIBLE] PROFESSOR: Why would you emphasize "thee" United States? I mean, yes, when you want to emphasize the, you say "thee." Did you see "thee" Mike, for instance? Let's see. Two days ago, I was watching ESPN and they were talking about basketball players. I mean, nowadays, everybody is talking about basketball players, right? You know what happened? The Pistons against the Pacers? All right. So everyone is talking about basketball, and this person named Mark Jackson. And he was talking about how he beat this person named Mike. Mike, right? And then so yeah, I beat Mike when I was in high school. So then the other guy was saying, oh, you're not talking about "thee" Mike, are you? "Thee" Mike? Who's "thee" Mike? Michael Jordan. Michael Jordan. So when you want to emphasize the person, the Mike, for instance, if I said, I saw Tom Cruise last night. What? Do you mean the Tom Cruise? You would emphasize the and you would say the, right? But I can't imagine why you would want to emphasize the United States. So I think it's a confusion, confusion. Right? Because it starts with the U, university. So people-- OK, U, I see a vowel, so maybe I should say the United States. AUDIENCE: [INAUDIBLE] PROFESSOR: Yeah. Like when you want to emphasize. Like when you want to emphasize the, when you emphasize the, it becomes "thee," right? When you emphasize a, then you say a. How many apples do you want? AUDIENCE: [LAUGHTER] PROFESSOR: I want one. I mean-- I need a apple. That sounds weird. But when you want to emphasize a, then you can say a. OK. OK, so here. X, which one gets prominence? AUDIENCE: Shoes. PROFESSOR: I want some shoes, right? I want some shoes. Y. AUDIENCE: What kind of shoes? PROFESSOR: What kind of shoes? Kind, kinda. Get in the habit of saying kinda. It'll make your life a lot easier. Kinda. AUDIENCE: Kinda. PROFESSOR: What kind of shoes? AUDIENCE: What kind of shoes? PROFESSOR: OK. Casual, casual. What's the consonant here? Juh, casual. Usual. Usually. AUDIENCE: Usually. PROFESSOR: Casual. AUDIENCE: Casual. PROFESSOR: Casual shoes. AUDIENCE: Casual shoes. PROFESSOR: Y is a little tricky. Next one. AUDIENCE: Black or brown? PROFESSOR: Black or brown. Black or brown. We haven't talked about this. We're going to talk about this after we come back from Thanksgiving on Tuesday, when we talk about intonation here. Question. So many people go, black or brown. Black or brown? No, that's not right. You want to go black or brown. OK? It's not black or brown. Black or brown? When it's a closed choice, when you're going to make two choices, black or brown. Black or brown. AUDIENCE: Black or brown? PROFESSOR: OK. X. AUDIENCE: Neither. I'm tired. PROFESSOR: I'm tired of black and brown, right? I'm tired of black and brown. AUDIENCE: I'm tired of black and brown. PROFESSOR: I want some-- AUDIENCE: Fresh shoes. PROFESSOR: I want some fresh shoes. Shiny red shoes. AUDIENCE: Shiny red shoes. PROFESSOR: Have you even seen red shoes? Maybe in Las Vegas [INAUDIBLE]. Any questions about this? AUDIENCE: [INAUDIBLE] PROFESSOR: I'm tired of black and brown. Black and brown. Black-- whenever you have A and E, you want to say [INAUDIBLE].. [INAUDIBLE] So you can loop this together. Blah kin. OK? Blah-kin. Black and brown. AUDIENCE: Black and brown. PROFESSOR: Black and brown. AUDIENCE: Black and brown. PROFESSOR: Black and brown. AUDIENCE: Black and brown. PROFESSOR: Other questions? OK. So this is about old/new information. 12 times the top + 9, 21. 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 19. 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 16, 17, 18, 19. 15. We'll do-- We'll do this. [INAUDIBLE] OK. You four in one group. You four. Four, one group. You sit out. Three, one group. Three, one group. Four, one group. OK, this is about the same category, emphatic stress. So each group has an index card. We did something like this before. OK? Each of you represents one syllable. OK? So if your sentence says, John's car is white, that's four syllables, right? John's car is white. Four syllables. If you have, he can't go, that's three syllables, OK? Now, I want you to add-- I wrote the question and the answers. All the answers are going to be either John's car's is white or he can't go. But you need to figure out according to the question, according to the question, which word you're going to put prominence on. OK? Is that clear? And what was the drill? Unstressed syllable, this, OK? Unstressed syllable, some stress, this, prominence, this. OK? Prominence this. Some stress, so content word stress, no stress. OK? So figure that out, and you can watch. [INTERPOSING VOICES] PROFESSOR: Do not abuse your index cards, OK? This is abusing your index card. Look at this. Do not check on your index card. That's domestic violation. OK. Are you ready? AUDIENCE: No. No, no. This has [INAUDIBLE]. PROFESSOR: Oh, no, you represent the answer. You represent the answer. The red ink, you represent the red ink. So either he can't go or John's car is white, OK? He can't go or John's car is white. [INTERPOSING VOICES] PROFESSOR: OK, so when I said-- OK. You ready? AUDIENCE: Yeah. [INTERPOSING VOICES] PROFESSOR: Everyone ready? Everyone ready? OK, now, so when I say-- I'm going to point to one group. When I say, ready, get set, go, you guys do your thing, OK? And as a class, we're trying to figure out why they have that prominence. So we're going to try to figure out the question. OK? We're going to turn to, for instance, it was I am listening. Then the question is why? No, it's not why. Are you listening? I'm listening. OK? I am listening and why aren't you listening? OK, so we're going to try to figure out the question. OK. This group, four, says they have number one. OK. Ready-- I think you need to stand up. AUDIENCE: I go first. PROFESSOR: OK, first. AUDIENCE: Do we have to put all this together? PROFESSOR: You just do your thing and we'll figure it out. Yeah. Ready, get set, go. OK. So say the sentence for us. OK, all of it together. 1, 2, 3. AUDIENCE: John's car is white. PROFESSOR: One more time. 1, 2, 3. AUDIENCE: John's car is white. PROFESSOR: OK. John's car is white. The question is whose car is white? Whose car is white? Whose car is white? Very good. You can sit down. Nice. Next, we're working with-- OK. Great. Yeah. Stand up. Any personal questions? OK. Ready, get set, go. OK. 1, 2, 3. AUDIENCE: John's car is white. PROFESSOR: 1, 2, 3. AUDIENCE: John's car is white. PROFESSOR: OK. Now, so John's car is. No stress on is? Yes? Good. No? AUDIENCE: [INAUDIBLE] PROFESSOR: There is-- William is telling us there's no stress in is and prominence on white. They can put their hands down. Yes? "Is" is considered a function word, OK, so that's very good. So what is the question? AUDIENCE: What color is John's car? PROFESSOR: Yes. It's like, what color is John's car? John's car is white. But the question was that you're supposed to do is John's car-- if you do the prominence-- and so what about the white, you become some stress. Some stress, OK? So prominence. One more time. 1, 2, 3. AUDIENCE: John's car is white. PROFESSOR: John's car is white, and what's the question? [INTERPOSING VOICES] PROFESSOR: OK. AUDIENCE: John's car is not white, right? PROFESSOR: Yes. John's car is not white. John's car is not white. And what? What are you talking about? John's car is white. John's car is white. OK. John's car is white is what color is John's car? You can sit down. Who has John? Anybody else has John's car, A? Stand up. Ready? OK. OK, take this John. OK. Ready, get set, go. OK. 1, 2, 3. AUDIENCE: John's car is white. PROFESSOR: Go all together. All of you together. 1, 2, 3. AUDIENCE: John's car is white. PROFESSOR: Look at what's going on here. Something's wrong. AUDIENCE: Yeah. Yeah. PROFESSOR: Well, what's wrong? John, some stress because John is a noun, right? Noun is a content or function word? Content. So there is some stress all the time. So, OK, one more time. AUDIENCE: John's car is white. PROFESSOR: John's car is white. So do your thing. John's car is white. John's car is-- John's car is white. OK, so what's the question? [INTERPOSING VOICES] PROFESSOR: Look at me. John's car is white. So what do you think was the question? AUDIENCE: [INAUDIBLE] AUDIENCE: [INAUDIBLE] PROFESSOR: So [INAUDIBLE]. AUDIENCE: [INAUDIBLE] PROFESSOR: Bicycle is white? No, his car is white. Is his bicycle white? The car is white. OK. I have a red bicycle. I have a red bicycle. Yes, I do. I don't have a red car, but I have a red bicycle. I've always wanted to have a red Corvette sports car, but I have a blue one, so I bought a red bicycle. OK, yes? AUDIENCE: What's the question? PROFESSOR: The question, the question. I wrote this, but I don't remember. The sentence that came before that was, I heard John has a white truck and a red car. White truck and a red car. White truck-- what are you talking about? John's car is white, not his truck. John's car is white, not his truck. OK. Stand up. 1, 2, 3. OK. So 1, 2, 3. AUDIENCE: He can go. PROFESSOR: He can go. OK. Correct? Correct? AUDIENCE: [INAUDIBLE] PROFESSOR: But who's he, and who's goes? Oh, he. He can't go. OK. He can't go. He, some stress? AUDIENCE: No, no. PROFESSOR: Why stressed? He is what? What part of speech is he? Is it a noun, pronoun, verb? It's a pronoun, right? Pronoun is a function words, so don't stress. He can't go. You ever say he can't go? They're already stressing can. He can go. So what is the question? AUDIENCE: [INAUDIBLE] PROFESSOR: Can he go? Can he go? Can he go? Can he go? Let me back up. Can he go? Can't go. Can he go? Can he go? Can he go? No, can he go? And then you would say, he can't go. Can he go? He can't go. The question, this was a little tricky. The question was why doesn't John go? Why doesn't he go? Why doesn't he go? It's not that he doesn't go. It's not that he doesn't want to go, he can't go. OK? OK. Thanks. 1, 2, 3. OK. OK, you're he. OK. I messed up. I should say, ready, get set, go. And 1, 2, 3. 1, 2, 3, and you say that sentence together, OK? 1, 2, 3. AUDIENCE: He can't go. PROFESSOR: All of you. All of you. 1, 2, 3. AUDIENCE: He can't go. PROFESSOR: He can't go, OK? So he, prominent, can't and go, some stress. Now, what is the question? Who can't go, right? Who can't go? He can't go. But that's not the question that you got, so you're actually supposed to be he can't go. AUDIENCE: That's what I thought. PROFESSOR: OK. OK, so stand up again. Do the US version, OK? The US version. OK. Ready, get set, go. AUDIENCE: He can't go. He can't go. PROFESSOR: He can't go. He can't go. OK, the question was, what about John? What about John? He can't go. OK? And they did a very good job. Go ahead more steps. Go has the prominence, not can't. OK, because go is the last content word. OK, thank you, sit down. Any questions about prominence? In [INAUDIBLE],, we contrasted, it's easy, right? But you have two things, black or brown. But emphatic, a little tricky, and old/new information, we have to emphasize. Any questions about prominence? OK, come on. Let's turn to page 95. OK, so what we have here is-- OK. And the second thing. OK. I need a volunteer to write the phonetic transcription of this. And this one, what happens to the vowel here? AUDIENCE: Eh. PROFESSOR: Eh, right? Eh. Imagine if Wall Street had known that, had known. Had, had, had. Had. She definitely did not say, what's the vowel? This one. It's had. Ad, ad. But since H-A-D is content or function word-- AUDIENCE: Function word. PROFESSOR: --function word, the vowel gets reduced. OK? Had known that, had known that. Here. AUDIENCE: [INAUDIBLE]. PROFESSOR: Please. [CLASSROOM DISCUSSION] PROFESSOR: Should be, but they-- Wall Street-- I think I heard H there. [CLASSROOM DISCUSSION] PROFESSOR: OK, Yeah. Or it could be a [INAUDIBLE]. It should be a [INAUDIBLE]. OK, someone-- you can sit down. It's supposed to be a four. Four, who did the homework? Omar. OK, please come up here. You did do the homework. All right. AUDIENCE: Of course. [CLASSROOM DISCUSSION] PROFESSOR: OK, now prominence, prominence, which one? In this crazy-- prominence where? Said, right? Said. OK, so they, they'd have-- we get rid of H, OK, we got rid of T, so they'd have sent him. OK? Sent him. This one or a schwa, so we're going to say they'd have sent him. They'd have sent him. They'd have sent him. They'd have sent him. They'd have sent him. They'd have sent him. OK. AUDIENCE: [INAUDIBLE]. PROFESSOR: Louder? PROFESSOR: [INAUDIBLE]. PROFESSOR: Oh, yes. What about the-- do you want to get rid of this? They'd have-- yes, you can get rid of this. They'd have sent him. They'd have sent him. But she did-- yes, you can get rid of the V, but she did say they'd have sent him. I understand. So they'd have him, that's one alternative. You could also say they-- it looks like this, right? Then you would say would've. Would've. They would've sent him. They would've sent him. They would've sent him. OK. Now what can you do with, if I had known? If I had known, if I had known, if I had known. You could say, if I had known, but you could also, grammatically speaking, you can put had in front and get rid of if, all right? So you would say had I known. Had I known. This becomes a flap. Had I known. Had I known. Had I known. Had I known. Had I known. Now, that's unreal past situation. Right? Remember, we talked about unreal present situation. If I were Spider-Man, I wouldn't be living in Boston, right? This one, so with the unreal present situation, you have to use a past tense word, right? I would not be living if I were Spider-Man. If you're talking about unreal past situation, you have to use the past perfect tense in the main clause. OK? In the if clause, past perfect going to be in the if clause. So if someone asked you, Jim, did you know that there was a test yesterday? And your answer is no. No, had I known that-- AUDIENCE: I would have studied harder. PROFESSOR: OK, one more time. One more time. Did you know that there was a test yesterday? AUDIENCE: No, no, you might have-- I would have-- I'm confused. PROFESSOR: Your grammar is good, but what I want you to say, no, if I had known that, or no, had I known that, I would have studied. I would have studied. What you're trying to say it could have. Who says it could have? Would've studied, I would've studied. I would've studied. I would've studied. I would've studied. I would've studied. Henry, Henry, did you know that there was a test yesterday? AUDIENCE: No, had I known, I would've studied. I would have studied. PROFESSOR: Oh, would've. Would've studied, would've studied very hard. OK, [INAUDIBLE],, did you know that I was in the hospital over the weekend? AUDIENCE: Hospital? PROFESSOR: Yes. Don't think the answer is always no. No. OK. No, had I known that. No, had I known that. OK, you always stuck your answer by saying no, had I known that, I would have. Had I known that, I would have. OK. Did you know that I was in the hospital over the weekend? AUDIENCE: No, had I known that, I haven't go to your apartment. PROFESSOR: I haven't look-- would've. AUDIENCE: I would have gone. AUDIENCE: I would've gone. PROFESSOR: I would've. No, I was in the hospital. Why come to my apartment? AUDIENCE: Right, right. [LAUGHTER] PROFESSOR: I would have-- AUDIENCE: So I could have see you in the hospital? PROFESSOR: Would've seen me. AUDIENCE: I would have seen you. PROFESSOR: I would have visited you. I would have visited you. I would have visited you. AUDIENCE: Visited. PROFESSOR: OK? OK, now this is-- OK. Here comes a statement that is always true. OK, [INAUDIBLE],, did you know that there was some free food in some engineering department yesterday? [LAUGHTER] AUDIENCE: No. Had I known that, I would have gone there. PROFESSOR: Very good. No. Had I known that, I would have gone there, OK? Repeat after me. No, had I known that. AUDIENCE: No, had I known that. PROFESSOR: I would have gone there. AUDIENCE: I would have gone there. PROFESSOR: I would have gotten some free food there. AUDIENCE: I would have gotten some free food there. PROFESSOR: I would have gotten. AUDIENCE: I would have gotten. PROFESSOR: I would have gotten some free food there. AUDIENCE: I would have gotten some free food. PROFESSOR: OK. So with your partner, ask a few questions-- two or three questions. Did you know? OK, did you know? And your question is always-- answer is always, no, had I known that, had I known, or had I known that, I would have. Had I known, I would have. Had I known that-- I think it's a lot easier to say had I known than if I had known, if I had known. That's very-- I found it more difficult. Had I known. Had I known is a lot easier in terms of pronunciation. Had I known. Had I known that. Repeat after me. Had I known that. AUDIENCE: Had I known that. PROFESSOR: Had I known that. AUDIENCE: Had I known that. PROFESSOR: I would have gone. OK? So ask your partner couple of questions [INAUDIBLE].. [CLASSROOM DISCUSSION] AUDIENCE: Had I known that there was a big [INAUDIBLE].. AUDIENCE: No, had I known that, I would have gone there. [CLASSROOM DISCUSSION] AUDIENCE: No, had I known that, I would have-- would have gone outside [INAUDIBLE].. [CLASSROOM DISCUSSION] AUDIENCE: No. [LAUGHS] AUDIENCE: Did you know that I bought a car yesterday? AUDIENCE: No. [LAUGHS] Had I known that, I would have-- [LAUGHS] I would have seen it. [CLASSROOM DISCUSSION] AUDIENCE: Would have. It should be a schwa. Would have. Would have. [CLASSROOM DISCUSSION] AUDIENCE: Did you know that yesterday [INAUDIBLE]?? AUDIENCE: No. Had I known that, I would have gone to school. [CLASSROOM DISCUSSION] PROFESSOR: OK. [INAUDIBLE], ask your question. Ask the question, and answer, yeah. Answer it yes. Ask the question, and answer the question. AUDIENCE: Did you know that there was a big party yesterday at [INAUDIBLE]? AUDIENCE: No. Had I known that, I would have gone with you. PROFESSOR: So, what's the question again? AUDIENCE: A big party at-- PROFESSOR: OK. Ask the question again. AUDIENCE: Do you know that there was a-- PROFESSOR: Do you know? No, did you. Did you know. Has to be in the past. Did you know. Did you know, OK? [INAUDIBLE] and [INAUDIBLE]. AUDIENCE: Did you know that I ate some [INAUDIBLE] with my friends? AUDIENCE: No, had I known that, I would have-- PROFESSOR: I? AUDIENCE: Would have. PROFESSOR: Would have, would have been there. Had I known that, I would have been there. Had I known that, I would have been there. AUDIENCE: Oh, did you know that we have the homework for this class? AUDIENCE: Today? AUDIENCE: No. Had I known that, I would've studied [INAUDIBLE] instead of watching TV last night. [LAUGHS] PROFESSOR: Very good. [LAUGHTER] AUDIENCE: Did you know that I bought a car yesterday? AUDIENCE: No. Had I known that, I would have seen your car. PROFESSOR: No. Would've, not would have, OK? Would've. AUDIENCE: Would've. PROFESSOR: Would've, one more time. AUDIENCE: How I known that, I would have seen your car. PROFESSOR: Would've. Would've. AUDIENCE: Would've. PROFESSOR: You're saying what have, OK? Don't drop your W. Would've. AUDIENCE: Would've. PROFESSOR: Keep it up. Would've. AUDIENCE: Would've. PROFESSOR: Would've. AUDIENCE: Would've. PROFESSOR: Would've. AUDIENCE: Would've. AUDIENCE: Would have. AUDIENCE: Would've. AUDIENCE: Would've. PROFESSOR: Very good. Would've. AUDIENCE: Would've. PROFESSOR: Answer the question again. AUDIENCE: How I known that, I would have seen your car. PROFESSOR: I would've? AUDIENCE: I would have seen your car. PROFESSOR: Seen? AUDIENCE: Seen. PROFESSOR: So what's the question again? Did you? AUDIENCE: Did you know that I bought a car yesterday? AUDIENCE: Had I known that, I would have seen your car. PROFESSOR: I would've seen your car. That sounds weird. [LAUGHTER] Had I known that, I would've seen your car. OK. AUDIENCE: [INAUDIBLE] or [INAUDIBLE]?? I would've. PROFESSOR: That's a research question. But I think I would've is more common. Because I say I would've. I'm going to-- you'd say, I'd've, I'd've, I'd've. [INAUDIBLE] I think I would've is easier to say. AUDIENCE: How do you say I wouldn't have? I wouldn't have. PROFESSOR: I would have? AUDIENCE: Would not have. Would not have. PROFESSOR: So, wouldn't've. AUDIENCE: Wouldn't've? PROFESSOR: I wouldn't've. That's very good. Wouldn't've. AUDIENCE: Wouldn't've. PROFESSOR: That's the syllabic end, like button. Button, right? Button. -on, -on. Wouldn't've. AUDIENCE: Wouldn't've. PROFESSOR: Wouldn't've. AUDIENCE: Wouldn't've. PROFESSOR: Wouldn't've. AUDIENCE: Wouldn't've. PROFESSOR: I wouldn't've. AUDIENCE: Wouldn't've. PROFESSOR: Wouldn't've. AUDIENCE: Wouldn't've. PROFESSOR: Wouldn't've. AUDIENCE: Wouldn't've. PROFESSOR: No. Did you know that I was in the hospital over the weekend? No. But even if I'd known that, I wouldn't've gone. [LAUGHTER] Even if I'd known that, even if I'd known that, I wouldn't've gone. I wouldn't've visited you. I wouldn't've. I wouldn't've. AUDIENCE: I wouldn't've. PROFESSOR: I wouldn't've. AUDIENCE: I wouldn't've. PROFESSOR: Wouldn't. That's the-- wouldn't. That's the syllabic end. Syllabic end. Wouldn't've. Like sudden. Sudden. AUDIENCE: Sudden. PROFESSOR: Button. AUDIENCE: Button. PROFESSOR: Sudden. Wouldn't. AUDIENCE: Wouldn't've. PROFESSOR: Sudden. Sudden. Wouldn't've. AUDIENCE: Wouldn't've. PROFESSOR: I wouldn't've. AUDIENCE: Wouldn't've. PROFESSOR: Wouldn't've. AUDIENCE: Wouldn't've. PROFESSOR: Yeah. AUDIENCE: Wouldn't have. PROFESSOR: But that's the next level. You want to get I would've. AUDIENCE: Would've. PROFESSOR: And then wouldn't've. Wouldn't and wouldn't've. OK. Now we're going to have the debate. First thing we're going to do-- ooh. A little-- let's clear your table. [CLASSROOM DISCUSSION] OK. The first thing that we're going to do is, OK. I'm going to give each group an envelope. In each envelope, you have-- OK. We have 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 categories, right? Six categories in terms of the gambits-- six categories. So we have these six categories in the envelope, OK? And you have the index cards, OK? So the first task as a group is, so each of you should take three or four index cards and try to place them under the right category, OK? Do that as a group. Do that as a group. So what you should do first is-- that's why I asked you to clear the table, please. OK. So like this-- as a group. You can stand up. Stand up. AUDIENCE: [INAUDIBLE]? PROFESSOR: Yeah. You can-- you see this? AUDIENCE: Can I see this? PROFESSOR: Yeah, you can. Yeah, yeah. AUDIENCE: Can I ask a question? PROFESSOR: Yes. You can look at that. You can look at that. AUDIENCE: There are so many. PROFESSOR: There are so many. Yeah. Well, there's about 40 index cards, OK? [INAUDIBLE] But you need to come here. All the categories are here. AUDIENCE: Yeah, OK. [CLASSROOM DISCUSSION] PROFESSOR: OK. Here. You can look up here if you're not sure. You can look up here. [CLASSROOM DISCUSSION] PROFESSOR: No category has more than 8 index cards, OK? [LAUGHTER] PROFESSOR: If you have a category that has more than 8 index cards, then something's wrong. [CLASSROOM DISCUSSION] PROFESSOR: You can look. You can look at your-- [INAUDIBLE] [CLASSROOM DISCUSSION] PROFESSOR: Ready? AUDIENCE: Yeah. AUDIENCE: 1, 2, 3, 4. [LAUGHTER] PROFESSOR: Even number. AUDIENCE: OK. Correct. PROFESSOR: Totally correct. Totally correct? Totally correct? OK. You guys [INAUDIBLE]. AUDIENCE: OK, this is done. This is done. [INAUDIBLE] AUDIENCE: One more. One more. [CLASSROOM DISCUSSION] PROFESSOR: There's no doubt that. AUDIENCE: There is no doubt that. Oh, [INAUDIBLE]. [CLASSROOM DISCUSSION] PROFESSOR: OK. Good. [CLASSROOM DISCUSSION] PROFESSOR: So check to make sure that you have all the right categories. You do? OK, no category should have more than eight cards, OK? Four to eight-- four, six, and eight. OK. And let's create our situation again. [CLASSROOM DISCUSSION] PROFESSOR: Create our situation again. OK, volunteer to read the situation for us? Or if we're going around the room, I read each sentence [INAUDIBLE].. One person reads each-- one sentence, starting with [INAUDIBLE].. AUDIENCE: Lee is a foreign student that has been in the United States for over a year. AUDIENCE: Lee is a first year in high school. PROFESSOR: No. He's a? AUDIENCE: He's a first year-- AUDIENCE: First year-- PROFESSOR: First year graduate student-- AUDIENCE: At MIT. PROFESSOR: At MIT. OK, that's enough. [LAUGHTER] AUDIENCE: He always has-- he always got good grades, but rarely volunteered or talked in class. AUDIENCE: [INAUDIBLE]. AUDIENCE: OK. Lee is very upset about a grade, because he feels that he deserves at least a B. Also-- PROFESSOR: At least? OK, at least a B. At least a B. AUDIENCE: At least a B. PROFESSOR: OK. AUDIENCE: Also he feels that the teacher didn't make it clear how important class participation was to the final grade. PROFESSOR: OK. AUDIENCE: The program [INAUDIBLE] will not issue a complaint to the head of the department. AUDIENCE: The teacher has already said he won't consider-- PROFESSOR: Louder, please. Louder. AUDIENCE: The teacher has already said he won't consider a grade change. AUDIENCE: In Lee's native country, the authority of the teachers is never challenged. PROFESSOR: OK. AUDIENCE: However, in the United States, he has observed several students challenging the teacher's authority. PROFESSOR: "Au-"? AUDIENCE: Authority. PROFESSOR: Authority. AUDIENCE: Authority. PROFESSOR: Authority. AUDIENCE: Authority. AUDIENCE: [INAUDIBLE]. AUDIENCE: They have asked Lee to join them. Lee thinks he may have to take another class with this teacher next year. PROFESSOR: With this. With this teacher. With this. With this teacher. AUDIENCE: With this teacher. PROFESSOR: With this teacher. AUDIENCE: He must decide whether to protest the low grade or keep quiet. PROFESSOR: Keep quiet. AUDIENCE: Keep quiet. PROFESSOR: Quiet. AUDIENCE: Quiet. AUDIENCE: OK. AUDIENCE: [LAUGHS] PROFESSOR: Let's check. OK. So that's the situation. OK, you know the rules, right? You need to participate at least-- we have 15 minutes. 10 minutes. So the rule is, we're going to start with the Yes group. Yes, he should protest the grade. Yes group and No group, OK? You need to participate at least twice. And you need to use at least three gambits, OK? And if you use the gambit, you get to keep it, OK? You say, oh, that's a good point, you keep it, OK? So if you use it, you can say it. But it's not going to count. You need to have at least three gambits. OK, you need to collect at least three gambits to get credit for this. [LAUGHTER] So it's very-- participate as soon as possible. AUDIENCE: I have a question. So assuming that if someone says that gambit, then that gambit doesn't count to us? PROFESSOR: No. That gambit is not going to be counted as one of your three gambits. AUDIENCE: Yes, if someone says it. PROFESSOR: Yeah, you could use it. You could definitely say it again. But it's not going to be counted, OK? So you could sit with [INAUDIBLE].. You and [INAUDIBLE],, you can sit over there. You can sit together. [SIDE CONVERSATIONS] We don't have enough time to set up a table. So the configuration is not that great. But-- [SIDE CONVERSATIONS] OK. [SIDE CONVERSATIONS] Is everyone ready to begin? AUDIENCE: Yes. PROFESSOR: OK. So first, we're going to hear from the Yes group. So someone tell us why he should protest about his grade. OK, [INAUDIBLE]? AUDIENCE: In my opinion-- [LAUGHTER] --I think he should protest, because the-- thank you. [LAUGHTER] The grading criteria is not clear. So that's the teacher's fault. So he's not a good teacher. Look at this class syllabus. I see the grading criteria. So here-- attendance and participation is 20%. So he's a good teacher. [LAUGHTER] PROFESSOR: You still have to use three gambits. [LAUGHTER] AUDIENCE: I want to still point out that he has a right to ask the professor about the criteria, OK? He had the right. AUDIENCE: OK. AUDIENCE: I know what you mean. But it seems to me that there's no room for protesting it, because he already mentioned that he won't consider a grade change. So it's no use if you-- there you go-- [INAUDIBLE] AUDIENCE: I couldn't understand. PROFESSOR: [INAUDIBLE] [LAUGHTER] OK, get [INAUDIBLE], OK? Go ahead. Go ahead. AUDIENCE: To bring up another point, if you said that the grade is not unfair, because the teacher has an obligation to indicate how the grade is made, right? But to bring up another point, a student has obligation to check the grade-- how grade is made in the class. So he has a responsibility of that. So the grade is made out of a reason. So he can't complain about it. PROFESSOR: OK. AUDIENCE: That's a good point. But the professor-- [LAUGHTER] But the professor should announce the criteria-- the grade, the grading system at the very beginning of the semester. But he didn't. So I don't know it until I finish my final exam. So I don't think it's right. AUDIENCE: That's a good point. PROFESSOR: That's very convenient. [LAUGHTER] AUDIENCE: I agree with you completely that-- [LAUGHTER] [INTERPOSING VOICES] AUDIENCE: Oh, yeah. I'd also like to point out that it's still the carelessness of-- I would also say that the student didn't pay too much attention to what the teacher said. The teacher made it clear-- make it clear how important the participation is. I think the worst students blame other people not saying [INAUDIBLE]. PROFESSOR: OK. Remember, there are index cards that let you express partial agreement, OK? You don't want to agree completely. [LAUGHTER] OK? OK? [INTERPOSING VOICES] AUDIENCE: Right? AUDIENCE: My question-- AUDIENCE: Although I have some sympathy with your position, but I think the protest is not a good idea, because a bad grade doesn't kill you. [LAUGHTER] PROFESSOR: OK, I'll give you a few others. [LAUGHTER] AUDIENCE: As I see it, it's not prohibited to complain to-- oh. [LAUGHTER] --complain about his grade. Because there are some students who are thinking to go to the teacher [INAUDIBLE].. AUDIENCE: OK. AUDIENCE: Yeah. AUDIENCE: I'm afraid I have to disagree with you, because to protest is your right to protect you. So we must do something because the grade is unfair. PROFESSOR: OK. Disagree with who? AUDIENCE: [INAUDIBLE]. [LAUGHTER] AUDIENCE: He sounded like protesting is a bad idea. PROFESSOR: OK. OK. AUDIENCE: I'm not sure what you're getting at, because in my opinion, as [INAUDIBLE] said, it's students' responsibility to check the material of the class and professor. So if he or she get a bad grade because he didn't do what you had to do-- so it's not good to protest because [INAUDIBLE].. AUDIENCE: Yes. AUDIENCE: Despite [INAUDIBLE] I think that the teacher has said that participation is very important in the class [INAUDIBLE].. But he didn't participate. So you don't pass the class. So [INAUDIBLE]. AUDIENCE: My point's assuming that you mean that the professor said that the participation is important. But Lee didn't listen to that, listen to him. AUDIENCE: To [INAUDIBLE],, he has to check his writing. But he could-- AUDIENCE: Could you repeat that? AUDIENCE: But the professor didn't make clear how important the participation is. PROFESSOR: OK, [INAUDIBLE]. AUDIENCE: It's not clear. AUDIENCE: That's [INAUDIBLE] in case of that other students have similar grade in the course and the participation will be a good factor to decide who will get a good grade, good credit in the course. And it's going to be a low grade in the course. So students should be more prepared for their grade-- in the case of the-- kind of the special case. AUDIENCE: So I see what you mean. But I think the teacher-- the participation is important. So that is the-- protest is not an arguing. It's kind of suggesting so he can participate to the class with the suggesting his opinion about the grade [INAUDIBLE].. So I think that he talked with the teacher about the grade, even though he did not change it, is also good participation in the class. And also it's good if he was to have another-- next semester. AUDIENCE: I don't follow what you said. Could you say that again? [LAUGHTER] AUDIENCE: What'd he say? [INTERPOSING VOICES] AUDIENCE: He didn't even listen. [LAUGHTER] AUDIENCE: My point is, protesting is not an arguing. It's also kind of silencing his opinion. And you can be participating in the class. AUDIENCE: Well, am I correct in assuming that complaining to the teacher is also participating in the class? AUDIENCE: Yeah, I think so. AUDIENCE: But I cannot agree with your point, because I think that's after class, not class participation. PROFESSOR: [INAUDIBLE]. AUDIENCE: Can I bring up another point? As I said, he's going to complain to the head of the department, not the teacher. I think he should complain directly to the teacher first. AUDIENCE: [INAUDIBLE]. AUDIENCE: Thank you. [LAUGHTER] [INTERPOSING VOICES] [LAUGHTER] AUDIENCE: [INAUDIBLE] complain directly to the teacher who would give him-- give to students something to manage. So I think it's better to complain it to the head [INAUDIBLE] instead of back to his teacher. PROFESSOR: OK. I think-- OK. Everyone's focused-- [INAUDIBLE].. AUDIENCE: Sure. Well, in my opinion, everybody missed one important fact, that the [INAUDIBLE] already sat with the teacher. And the teacher said he wouldn't consider a grade change. And so that's the reason why he is going to the head of the department to discuss this kind of issue. PROFESSOR: OK. We're going to stop today. We're going to continue our debate tonight. [LAUGHTER] OK? So-- AUDIENCE: We've been [INAUDIBLE].. PROFESSOR: No. [LAUGHTER] Today was a practice round, OK? So next time, [INAUDIBLE].
Comments
Post a Comment