OCW Reaching Out to The World – Livestreamed Event

YVONNE NG: Thank you, everyone for joining us today. It is so special to be able to have this discussion with you because we love our OCW learners. You're all so curious and so full of ideas. Any time we get to hear directly from you is inspiring to us. What we hope you take away today are some of the ways that OCW broadens our outreach. And we also want to hear from you, especially on what's resonating with you about what we're doing and how you would love to connect with OCW. I'm Yvonne Ng. I help run the annual giving and donor relations for MIT Open Learning. We're still celebrating 20 years of OpenCourseWare, reaching more than 200 million people around the world. And we know that that growth of the site is due to you sharing OCW with your friends, families, and colleagues. Everyone who has used or supported the site has become part of the OCW family in a sense. And that family is a wonderful community eager to learn, share what you've learned to uplift yourself or your own communities. So just a couple of housekeeping notes. Today's discussion will be recorded and shared with our community. Your participation today indicates your willingness to share your likeness and any comments you make in this recording. If you're tuning in on the Zoom link and would like captions, please click on the CC button at the bottom of your screen. To ask a question, type it in the Q&A box. Today, I'm happy to have three amazing OCW team members who have been key in raising awareness of OCW and supporting folks in a special way. And with that, I'll ask our wonderful speakers to briefly introduce themselves. SARAH HANSEN: Thanks, Yvonne. My name is Sarah Hansen. And I lead the educator initiative at OpenCourseWare. And that means my job is to make the content that OCW produces more valuable to educators on a global scale. I think I have one of the best jobs at MIT because I get to support educators like many of you out there. I'll turn it over to one of my colleagues next. CHERYL SIEGEL: Hi. I'm Cheryl Siegel. I wear two hats here at OCW. Most of my time is spent creating course content for all of you and working with the faculty. But on my other hat is that I get to manage social media. And this is the most fun job. No offense, Sarah. I think my job might be more fun. But I can play on social media in the name of research. And it's a great way to be creative. And best of all, I get to connect with you. And I just wanted to share that when I came for my original interview at OWC I was sitting in the room waiting for my interviewers to come in. And I just had this feeling that this is my job. This is where I'm meant to be. And so that was 13 years ago. And I'm really excited to come to work every day. So thank you. And I'm going to turn it over to Sharon. SHARON LIN: Hi, everyone. My name is Sharon Lin. I am a digital publication specialist at OCW. I went to graduate school at MIT and I have been working at OCW since 2012. One of my major responsibilities is to coordinate the OCW Mirror Site program, which is about serving global learning communities with limited internet access. YVONNE NG: Thank you, guys. That's awesome. So before we dive in, we will start off with one of our burning questions to this wonderful audience of OCW learners. We want to know how do you love to connect with OCW? And so we're going to launch a poll. And we hope that you'll choose one of these options, whether it's the website, social media, Chalk Radio Podcast, newsletter, and others. So if you can, take a moment and cast your vote. And then we'll just give it another couple of seconds before we close the poll. But I kind of feel like I know. I kind of feel like I know. But I won't know until you guys tell us. Haha! The website. It's true. But you know what's really cool? I love that you guys hear through us-- you get to us through social media. But Chalk Radio Podcast is one of our newest ventures. And it's awesome that you guys know about it. So the first question I'm going to pose to my colleagues here is can you talk about some of the work you do to build communities of learners and educators? And perhaps some of the things that have surprised you? And we'll start off with our good friend Sarah. SARAH HANSEN: Hi. So I try to build community with our OCW followers mainly by telling the human story of open education. And I do that by interviewing MIT faculty about how they teach and sharing that in lots of different ways. But the latest way is through the Chalk Radio Podcast, which I have the honor of hosting. It's so fun. And we really created the podcast for you out there. We wanted to create a sense of community for you. We bring you into conversation with some of the most interesting faculty on campus who are doing really interesting courses and research. And we want you to feel like you're under the dome with us and that you're walking down the Infinite Corridor with those faculty members. And we want you to be inspired to learn just like we are every day. So that's my main effort these days in creating community. It's been really an exciting journey. We have listeners from all six continents so far. We don't have the penguins in Antarctica yet, but I'm working on that. We have over 300,000 listens across different platforms and venues. So it's just been great. And I guess the thing that surprised me the most is how many people reach out to us who also want to share the human story of open education. At conferences we have a lot of people asking how they can do similar work. And so that's been a wonderful surprise to go from a novice in this area-- I didn't know how to produce podcasts-- to having something to share and to help other people do the same thing. So I'll end there so we can hear more. YVONNE NG: That's so awesome Sarah. I love your podcast. It's just it really-- you guys have been able to really cultivate a special relationship with each of the people that you interview. So thank you for that. Sharon? Over to you. SHARON LIN: So the Mirror Site program is serving the communities with unmet educational needs. Every time when I prepare a portable hard drive, which contains a copy of the content on our life site, and when I put that little hard drive into a shipping box, the box can look pretty ordinary just like any of the Amazon packages. But I imagine that from the recipient's end the hard drive can bring hope, inspiration, life changing knowledge that will benefit people who may not be able to be on the MIT campus but equally so desire to learn. And one of the most surprising moments is that I have shipped these hard drives to places around the world both domestically and internationally, including Haiti, Myanmar, Somalia, and one time a US Navy submarine with an undisclosed location. That was pretty cool. YVONNE NG: Oh my gosh. I love that you do that. I remember I actually used to ship out those drives way, way long back in the day. And those drives used to be at least like a good five pounds. It's amazing that the drives are as big as your hand. So kudos to technology. Cheryl, do you want to tell us a little bit about some of the work you do to build community and perhaps something that surprised you? CHERYL SIEGEL: Absolutely. So I've been working our social media channels now for a couple of years. And I'm really honored to have inherited some well established accounts with half a million people on Facebook. And so we have Facebook, Twitter. I also just started an Instagram account. And I'm on a march to 10,000 followers. We plan to get there by the end of the year. And we also have LinkedIn for professionals. And the hardest part is how do I get you guys to notice us in this infinite scroll? I think about that as I do my own surfing on the web, on Facebook, or whatever. What gets me to stop? What is interesting? And what blends into the fray? And OCW doesn't have a built in community of learners like in the way that a MOOC might where you have a group of people taking a course all together. And we've tried many experiments over the years. And they haven't worked for a variety of reasons. So I think social media is de facto become that place. And so thinking of it as I'm curating a community of learners, that's a guiding principle for me. So not only do I want to hear from you and to share with you, but I want all of you to talk to each other as well. So I really strive to be interactive. There is a lot of just, hey, we have this great new course on nuclear engineering. But it's also I want back and forth conversations. I've been chatting with someone on Instagram messenger trying to help him figure out the best course and how it works. So don't be shy. Feel free to reach out. And I love hearing about your ideas and what makes you angry or what doesn't make sense to you. I find people aren't too shy about these things. And I think the greatest skill or gift that I've honed through these years is to really get a better understanding of who our audience is, who you are. So I don't just post OCW related things, although I do. But I also want to repost and share articles about science and technology and pop culture that might be of interest to you. Or maybe some obscure Star Wars reference that only you guys might get. But the thing that surprises me most is that you cannot get enough nerd humor in all its forms. I try really hard for holiday themed ones. The Thanksgiving ones are particularly good. Go back and look. But I do have a confession-- that I don't have a STEM background. And I continue to be surprised by the massive amount of interest in things I do not understand. So for instance, linear algebra. Professor Gil Strang is an aging mathematician teaching linear algebra. But he is like a rock star here. Whenever I post anything about Gil, we get hundreds of responses about how he's changed people's lives. And so at the end of the day, that's what really keeps me going. So again, don't be shy. Reach out. I'd love to hear from you. YVONNE NG: Thanks so much, Cheryl. I absolutely adore all the work that you put in to all of our social media sites. You have been really able to cultivate a beautiful community that's supportive of each other and have very strong opinions. And, I think, that's what we love to hear. But we also love to hear from our learning community just about their experience. And I've been so lucky to have read so many OCW stories from folks who just describe how OCW has helped them fill their educational gaps or skill up for their careers. Would y'all take a moment and share with us a story from the community, perhaps how somebody used OCW that inspired you to keep sharing OCW with the world? And we'll start off with Sharon. SHARON LIN: Yes. So our goal is try to reach out to a diverse group of underprivileged learners in the world. For example, recently I have spent mirror drives to prison in order to serve the incarcerated students. Keep in mind that these students do not have any freedom to access the internet yet still have the opportunity to learn. And we definitely receive letters all the time from these students about how much they appreciate this very special learning opportunity. YVONNE NG: That's amazing. I'm in the office. And just today, I just picked up three different letters from inmates who just-- they have this huge desire to improve themselves and they're learning even though they're still incarcerated. So it's wonderful that you're able to share that. Sarah, did you want to share a story? SARAH HANSEN: Sure. Well, I'm all about educators. And if there are any of you out there who are teachers or instructors or TAs just let me know in the chat. I'd just love to hear that. So my favorite story is about a professor that I met at Worcester State University. Her name is Elizabeth Seiler. Check her out. She's great. She reused and remixed materials from one of the earliest courses that we published on OCW way back in the early 2000s. And she made them relevant and important for her business students today. And she even remixed the level of-- she took a graduate level course and made it appropriate for undergraduates. I was really moved by this story. And so I had her on the podcast. And we brought her and the original professor onto the podcast to talk to each other about the power of Open and what it does for learning. And it was just such a privilege to be part of that conversation. And it inspires me to keep doing this work and to keep sharing. And in a second I'll drop that episode in the chat if anyone wants to check it out. YVONNE NG: My gosh. I love that. I mean, that's exactly what we want people to do. We want people to use, remix, distribute, share our resources. And if people are doing that, then we're winning. This is awesome. Cheryl, did you want to share your story? CHERYL SIEGEL: You know you work in a good place when it's hard to find one answer to this question. We get daily stories. And so we're so lucky. But the one that has stayed with me is from a man who was in Afghanistan in the military and was hit by a roadside bomb and had traumatic brain disorder. And his whole life was disrupted. And no longer could he sit in a classroom and learn in the same way for a variety of reasons. It was just too hard for him medically. And so he talked about how OCW was really instrumental in helping him find his way back because he could learn at his own pace, at his own time. And this was before MOOCs were a thing. So it was one of the fewer options out there. And so being able to access the knowledge was able to help him get to the next steps. So I don't think I'll ever forget that one. It stayed with me. YVONNE NG: That's such an amazing story. Thank you so much for sharing that. We're going to just slightly switch gears here because in putting on this discussion, we invited you all to send in your feedback, send in your suggestions on how we can do our work better in terms of raising awareness. And more than 400 people signed up. And we actually had more than 250 suggestions that we're kind of working through. And we're so appreciative. And so we've actually received lots of ideas about how OCW can improve our awareness building and outreach efforts. For you panelists, what kind of community feedback or input is or would be helpful to you and your outreach work? Cheryl, we'll start with you. CHERYL SIEGEL: I would actually like to answer a question from YouTube from Braden about how we got our social media accounts to the levels that we did. And as I mentioned, I inherited many of these. So I wasn't present at the beginning. But my understanding is that we did end up having to run paid ads that-- we don't have a huge budget. We're not like Toyota or something. But we did do campaigns and boosting. And that was eventually what got it there. But you also have to remember there was a lot less competition for your eyes out there at the time. Five, 10 years ago. Whenever this was. And so it wasn't as competitive as it is now. Or crowded, I guess, is the word. But, I guess, I'm really interested to know what makes you stop and read? People seem to really love video. Do you want more video in our social media accounts? Do you want me to include links to problem sets. I would just love more guidance about what it is you need from us. I mean, is it enough to just put in a link to a course that we've just published and say, off you go. So any kind of feedback people have about that would be super helpful to me. YVONNE NG: And then Sharon, did you want to go? SHARON LIN: Sure. So for the Mirror Site program, currently, we have 437 affiliates globally. We want the Mirror Site to continue to grow and provide equitable access to education for learners around the world. On the recipients end, I think, we are always curious about questions such as how effective are those hard drives we have provided. Do they work? Any technical glitches? How are they set up to encourage new learners? On the other hand, we will always appreciate if people can support us to continue this program or help us figure out a technology invention to further grow the program. So let's just keep the ball rolling. YVONNE NG: That's great. Thanks so much for that. Sarah, did you want to tell us a little bit more about what kind of feedback is going to be helpful to you and your team? SARAH HANSEN: Yeah. There's really two parts. One, we love to bring your voices into the podcast. We have a telephone number that you can call to tell us who you'd like to see as guests on the show or what questions you have for them. But I would love to know from you, how can I invite you to do that? How can we communicate about that? Do you like social media for invitations to submit ideas? What works best for you? The second piece is that we love to talk about what OCW does for educators and can do for them. We love to present at conferences. So my ask is if you have local conferences where you are, please let us know if you'd like us to come share the resources that we have. Now with Zoom, we can appear almost anywhere. And we'd love to come to you. So please reach out and let us know. YVONNE NG: That's just great. That's just great. As I mentioned before, we actually had so many people writing in and just offering these great suggestions. So our panelists are going to choose a suggestion that was offered and expand upon it. And so we'll start with Sarah. SARAH HANSEN: Well, I actually just did that. I took that suggestion for conferences, which I thought was just great. And it's something we already love to do. So just another plug to please reach out and let us know about any local conferences. I would love to come. YVONNE NG: And for Sharon? SHARON LIN: Yes. So I looked at all of the questions our participants had raised. And I think several people mentioned about seeking collaboration with other institutes or other websites. And I think for the Mirror Site program particularly, partners played an instrumental role in extending our outreach to more hard to reach learners' communities. For example, we have worked with our affiliate in Myanmar and successfully brought MIT course materials to 23 universities and six community libraries in Myanmar. The door for collaboration is always open. And we will continue to look for a new partnership. YVONNE NG: That's wonderful. That's so great. Cheryl, did you want to take a suggestion and perhaps expand upon it? CHERYL SIEGEL: Well, there were some suggestions that said be on social media more. And so I wasn't quite sure if that meant post more or be on different platforms. And we do have a poll question coming up about that. But yeah, so I think my goal is to post often-- every day or nearly every day to get you guys-- to keep you engaged. So yeah, I think knowing which platforms are the right ones is one of my challenges. It's like, do we go to TikTok? Should we check out Clubhouse? And then I'm sure there are many that I've never heard of yet because I'm too old. But I think that's one of the bigger challenges I have is I know that many of our users are on TikTok and WhatsApp. And it doesn't make sense for us to go there. I don't know. But we just did Instagram. And that's going pretty well. But there had been resistance about it previously. So here's your poll about if you could only spend time on one social media channel, which of the following would you choose? And I will not sing the Jeopardy song for you. YVONNE NG: But you can totally do it Cheryl. CHERYL SIEGEL: I wouldn't torture you like that. YVONNE NG: OK. I appreciate that. And the results are here. Wow. Wow. LinkedIn. And so Instagram is the winner here. Does that surprise you? Facebook I felt like it is pretty-- yeah. I totally get that. But-- CHERYL SIEGEL: I'm not that surprised actually because I think others are waning maybe in popularity. And Instagram is on the upswing. And I think the thing that surprises me is that nobody's on TikTok. I've been hearing such good things. But maybe it's just our special group here that is not into it or-- so Instagram. I think that gives me more fuel to the fire here to spend more time on it. So I would have picked Instagram too for what it's worth. Don't tell Mark Zuckerberg. YVONNE NG: Or maybe we should. No. I'm just kidding. OK. I think we're ready to open up for some questions here. Let's see. If you give us a second to take a quick look. So one of the questions that had come up or suggestions that have come up was just doing more advertising campaigns. And I know that we've kind of played around with that on Facebook for a while because in looking at our data, which at MIT we love our data. We found that so many people come to OpenCourseWare through that medium. Cheryl, are there some advertising campaigns that you could talk about? Perhaps-- CHERYL SIEGEL: Yeah. YVONNE NG: --some that we ran in the past? CHERYL SIEGEL: Yeah. Every February we do a love campaign. And I have to say many of these amazing ideas start with Yvonne. She is often the genius behind these. So talking about February-- Valentine's Day-- and we like to highlight stories about how people love OCW and how it's changed them but also how we love our learners. And so I look forward to that one every year. Also, we do a back to school campaign. It's all wonky this year. But everybody is gearing back up to go back to school. And so we try to help by providing intro courses, things students might interact with on their freshman year and need to get caught up to speed. Also we did, thanks to Yvonne, a whole campaign about our scholar courses that had little promos that had Jedi masters talking to you about OCW scholar, which is our sort of MOOCs like experience. So I think another challenge for me thinking about this is we have learners all over the world. And our two biggest populations on social media are people from the US and people from India. And how do you make sure your content is interesting and engaging for all kinds of communities. And in terms of also timing. When do you post if Mumbai is 12 hours ahead? And what could be offensive in another culture that I don't realize is happening. So I think those are some big challenges. So any feedback from anyone out there, that would be super helpful as well. High schools here have AP exams, but that is limited to the US. So that's not content that's entirely relevant for everybody. I also wanted to address the question about certificates that many, many people ask us about certificates. And unfortunately, no. OCW does not offer certificates. As you know, we don't require any kind of registration or sign in. We don't track where you are. So there's no way for us to verify that people have completed any kind of coursework or mastered a subject. So it's not something that we offer. MOOCs can do that for you. But this is a vast library of materials that has been locked behind gates for centuries. Right? And we give it to you for free. And so that is the situation now. I know that a lot of people would want that. But you can definitely still put it on your resume that you've learned this material. But we do get that question always. YVONNE NG: Yeah. And I would add that at Open Learning there are quite a few resources for people who are interested in earning a certificate. And so I would encourage you to connect with our friends at MITx, who run massive open online courses. If you go to the MIT Open Learning site and on the home page you can find MITx MOOCs. And those courses, they're all free. They are timed. There's great interaction. You can get responses to your questions. And if you choose to get a certificate, there's a nominal fee. There's a fee for that. But you could still access all of those courses and audit them for free. We had a question from Van Vu, who wants to know, does MIT guide people to be teachers? Or perhaps how does MIT help educators? Is that something you could speak to Sarah? SARAH HANSEN: Sure. Well, I can talk about what we're doing at OpenCourseWare. Educators are really important to us. They make up only about 10% of our usership. But they're such an important 10% because they are multipliers. They share our open resources with many, many people. So we really value them. And so in over 200 of our courses we have a special section called instructor insights. And that's where I have personally interviewed the faculty member. And I've talked to them about how they taught on campus with the course materials that they're sharing on OpenCourseWare. So educators using them get to find out how are they used on the MIT campus? What do I want to keep from that? What do I want to change? What do I want to build on? It's a really neat way to pull back the curtain on teaching. Usually teaching happens behind closed doors at universities. And MIT professors are being radically open with their colleagues around the world saying, hey, take a peek in. Look at what's going really well. Look at my challenges. Look at my iterations. So I'd encourage anyone who's working on their own teaching to take a look at those insights. We also have a special educator portal where you can search for courses that use a particular pedagogical strategy that you might be interested in, such as active learning or teaching with technology or remote teaching now. We've just added that one. So that's another resource for educators. We also have a way to search for our courses by particular-- like teaching materials. So you might want problem sets with solutions or exams with solutions in your particular academic area. We make it possible to do that. We're trying to make the site as easy to use for you. But we have a long way to go. And we're in the process right now of refining those pathways for educators to make it even easier. So if any of you out there have feedback about how OpenCourseWare is working for you now and changes that you would like to see, please drop those in the Q&A or in the spreadsheet. And I will personally take a look at those. YVONNE NG: That's great. Marcel-- and sorry if I'm mispronouncing your name, but Marcelo Aguayo from Paraguay says he wants more video, because it helps improve his English. I wonder, Sharon, if you could just talk about video with OCW and how that works and how you make those choices about which courses will have video versus ones that don't. SHARON LIN: So yes, I definitely can speak about it from the role of being a digital publication specialist. So I think a lot of the time, the deciding factor is actually from the faculty. We usually provide content as a snapshot about what is being taught at MIT. And every year, every semester, we have so many good courses. And we want to provide an update on our website. We understand our users have always demand for more videos. And we want to do more. But I think, especially during the very challenging year for the COVID pandemic, I feel like we're very blessed that, even though we are working remotely, but we have a fabulous video team who still went on campus to work with the instructors to capture a lot of great videos. So it is our goal, is to provide more videos, continue to do it. We understand that our users really love all the great videos. So that is definitely what we're trying to do. When we're standing at this moment of our 20th anniversary, we look at what we have done. And we know our users love our videos. So we are hoping that, in the next 20 years, we can do more videos to serve our learners, yeah. CHERYL SIEGEL: I'd actually like to piggyback off that. There are a couple of questions about recruitment and how we choose which courses to go on and updating courses. So as I said, part of my job, my main part, is working with the faculty to get their materials up. And it's a complicated decision to get things up, because they are pretty time consuming. We only do about 60 a year. So it's what course looks interesting that fills a gap, what faculty is willing to work with us. We may think that this machine learning is fantastic. But maybe the faculty is wary of OCW. Or often, we get a question about-- we'll get a response that maybe next year. I'm not comfortable this year. So it's what's available, who's teaching it. Sometimes, if a course is very hands-on, it doesn't translate that well to OCW, because you're not in the classroom, you miss what's going on. And this is the case with a lot of our humanities and social sciences that are discussion based. So you miss the meat of the course. And what we have is a syllabus and a reading list and some assignments. And then in terms of updating, we are very, very aware that many of our courses are old and need to be updated. And it is a constant problem. I've been here 13 years. And we've talked about it on my first day. And we'll talk about it on my last day. So it's something we strive for. Waseem had mentioned that he saw a linear algebra course from last century. And there are some courses that are classic, that the material doesn't change, like classical mechanics, like calculus. The fundamentals of linear algebra are the same, pretty much, no matter when you see it, if what changes is the context and the applications. And actually, to plug Gil Strang, he has a 2020 course about new applications of linear algebra, which we can drop in the chat for you as well. But we know that video is key for people. And so we try to process as much as possible. YVONNE NG: That's great. Yeah. So we have a question here from our YouTube friend, Martin Question. And this question is, what's in it for you? He says, we consume and leverage the free education you provide. That is, of course, highly appreciated. And we love that. And really, I'm happy to take some of this. But I don't know if any of you want to-- do any of you want to take this? OK. So why does OpenCourseWare do this? Well, it's because MIT believes in the importance of sharing our materials with the world. The whole idea of MIT is to bring knowledge to bear on the greatest problems in the world. And one of the things that we're able to do with OpenCourseWare is to help with that problem. And so when, early on, when we started OpenCourseWare, the idea came from faculty, a group of faculty who recognized that we're not going to be a distance-learning education program. That was just not in the cards. But what we could do is we could actually share the teaching materials that are used in MIT classrooms with the world for free. And really, we just saw that as a huge public benefit. And so that's really what's in it for us. It's helping us deliver on our mission. But it's also just really helping the world be a better place. It's providing opportunity for anybody that has a desire and motivation to learn and that we would love to be part of that learning toolkit that anybody out there has. I don't know if anybody wants to add to that. SARAH HANSEN: Yeah, I'll just reiterate what you're saying. I mean, we benefit when you solve problems that are facing our communities. So it's a little bit selfish in that we want to share all this stuff so you can solve some of the most pressing problems in the world. We really need people from every corner of the planet to work on all of the issues facing our climate and our societies. So yeah, we're all part of the puzzle. And so this is one piece that Mitt can do to help solve these issues. CHERYL SIEGEL: I think there's a statistic that MIT-- I mean, OCW, over its 20 years, has been used in just about every single country. And I think, for MIT, that we are a fairly inexpensive ambassador program for them, that people that may not have heard of MIT or didn't think it was for them now can take a little dive in and become aware of it. So it can be a recruiting tool for them. But it is a permanent activity here at MIT, so. SARAH HANSEN: Just as a little side note when I was applying for this job about seven years ago, I kept saying, but how is this possible? How are you offering this for free? Is this going to end? Am I going to maybe get this job, and then the job is going to end? This doesn't seem possible. But it is. I mean, and it's because of donors like you who keep us sustained, so thank you. And thank you to MIT for supporting us. But it's really unbelievable. It's like a miracle. I can't believe it exists. And I'm so glad that it does. YVONNE NG: Yeah, I would echo that. I mean, when I first heard of it way, way back in the 90s, I thought, they're crazy. They're insane. Why are they even doing that? What are they--what's the catch? And then to finally make it here as an employee and recognize that there's this incredible altruism to doing this-- and it still carries so many-- its meaning is so deep. And because we've been around for 20 years, that meaning has taken such deep roots, especially within our faculty and our teaching staff. So yeah, I mean, as far as we-- I mean, we are pretty much ruled by faculty. And if they want to continue doing this, they will as well. Anonymous question, do you have any plans to make OCW website more user friendly? Yes. It's long overdue. In some ways, we're catching up. But that effort is actually encompassed in next gen OpenCourseWare. I was going to talk a little bit about that later. But we are actively working on the next generation of OpenCourseWare with the idea that it will be easily accessible on any mobile device. We are now working on the infrastructure for that. We hope to do a soft launch of the new site later on this summer and, probably by this fall, launch, completely, a mobile-friendly site, one that has a stronger search capabilities. We want this to be as user friendly for educators so that they could take our content and relatively seamlessly integrate our content into their curricula. So there's definitely lots of plans in place right now for that. And from YouTube, AllofUs has a question. And this person says, I think translation is an issue. Are there efforts to translate courses to languages such as Arabic, Hindu, Chinese, and Spanish? I'm happy to take this question. I think there's huge value in being able to make OCW content as accessible in other languages that are non-English. We, certainly, will continue. And we're dedicated to having these courses available in the language that it's taught at MIT, which is mainly English. But for a while, we were working with translation affiliates around the world who are able to find resources and the talent to actually take courses and translate them. Unfortunately, a lot of those affiliates weren't able to sustain their operation. And in some cases, they actually had shifted and created their own OpenCourseWare, which is exactly what we want. We want there to be other OCW's out there, open educational resources out there in different languages, to help folks that learn in those languages. But as it is now, we welcome anybody to translate our courses and our resources, so long as they add that disclaimer that we're not endorsing those translations but that these courses come from MIT. And they're attributed to MIT. So I hope that answers your question there. So there's a question about 3D printers. Yuka's question about 3D printers, did you want to take that, Sharon? SHARON LIN: Sure. So Yuka's asked about are there courses on 3D printers also maintained by the staff members at MIT. So this is a very interesting question. In the past, OCW actually has published several IAP courses. IAP is the time that the MIT communities usually have a lot of opportunity to take on for credit, noncredit, workshop kind of courses. And I believe some of the 3D printer courses, sometimes, is offered as a workshop. So I think that as soon as there's an opportunity that there is an IAP course offered on campus, I think our team definitely would just go for it. But in the past, we have published several IAP series, including Girls Who Make, Arduino, Unity. Those are good for people who have the maker's taste. So that's my answer for Yuka's question. YVONNE NG: That's fantastic. Well, I think that we've come to a close with our session. And again, this has just been so wonderfully fantastic. I want to thank Sharon, Sarah, and Cheryl for sharing their insights into their important work. We want to recognize our team behind the scenes who've been helping us run this event. That's Megan Maffucci, Brett Paci, Jason Player, Shiba Nemat-Nasser, and Cathleen Nazlety-- Nalezyty, sorry. I also want to thank you. You OCW learners are amazing. We're so grateful for your feedback and ideas today. And so if you have additional suggestions on our outreach, please add them here. I mean, your thoughts are especially helpful as we work on the next generation of OpenCourseWare website, which will become available later this year. No one knows OCW like our learners. And everything we do is to try and make it even better for you. So this website will be completely mobile friendly, as I mentioned before. And so we imagine, it will, potentially, serve billions of people who own a mobile device and, again, have that desire and motivation to learn. We're expecting the site to be intuitive and have a powerful content discovery capabilities. We're planning for a suite of new features to support educators as they adopt and adapt OER for their teaching. And we're dedicated to all of this good work. And really, this work needs support. So here are a few ways you can help us give. A donation, in any amount, counts. We're running a 20th anniversary fundraising campaign. And we need a few hundred people to help us reach our goal. A donation, in any amount, helps. So please give, if you can. And if you aren't in a position to give, which we totally understand, then please help us spread the word about OpenCourseWare to your friends, family, and colleagues. Cheryl does an amazing job on our social media channels, so reposting, retweeting. Anything that you post would be super duper helpful. And lastly, just tell us your story. Let us know how we've helped in your learning journey, because your words and experience are so powerful and meaningful to our funders and everyone in our community. And so with that, thank you again, everyone, for spending time with us. Be well, take care, and keep learning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12. Ion Implantation and Annealing - Analytic Models and Monte Carlo

L17.4 Molecules and energy scales

Lecture 20 Maxwell Theory and its Canonical Quantization