Lec 8 MIT CMS.930 Media, Education and the Marketplace
I'm shiru me agarra I teach at MIT and I'm the executive producer of Star festival in this brief presentation I want to tell you about star festival star festival is a multi linear program which we created at MIT myself and a large team of people who work on different parts of the program star festival is a model by which you tell your own personal history Who am I this is who I am and I want you to look at it as you will see it is a way in which you represent a variety of things about your life your parents your home and so forth the content of star festival itself is about my own life i was born in japan and i was there until I was ten and then i came to the united states with my family and as an adult I went back to Japan with a question Who am I on my Japanese or my American or on my Japanese and American I really didn't know and I needed to have the answer to this question so I created star festival with this team from MIT in order to try to answer the question so start festival is a very personal history about me and also a very personal look at Japan my own personal Japan I would like to now show you some things from star festival if you look at the screen we came right into the middle of the show this is the PDA or personal digital assistant the PDA is what I took with me to Japan to record things about Japan about my own life you can see that it has a screen here lots of buttons and lots of things that you can click on here the idea always is that it's a personal journey so I'm going to begin by showing you a very personal look at my hometown a bus ride the bus ride continues for a few more minutes the the point about this bus ride is that this no are talking it doesn't tell you this is my hometown and this is Japan and so forth it gives you lots of visual cues that you use in my personal journey to see what Japan is like on a very personal level next I want to show you my home you this is where I grew up in here at sea of japan here a sky is about one hour by train from tokyo and you can see that this is a a real kind of cluttered there's a TV there's some familiar things there's a buddhist shrine buddhist temple here and you can tour around my home and see things as you look around one of the things that I wanted to capture with star festival is the notion of change that people in countries change here's an example of someone in my own neighborhood the model shop man where everything around him has changed except him can only shoot another it up you know nothing oh my god after the end of World War two people were saying Japan was defeated by the US because we are behind in sight so I started the show thinking that I could help you people just by the way I club business might be a bit different from others let the children use to yes back then I spent a lot of time playing with kids I'm hoping I'll money then I'm gonna add another couple how about now this it's not the same these days children don't make plastic welcomes anyone children don't do it children these days aren't interested models aren't popular anymore especially the one complex non it's like hearing really yeah should I pay a lot for the most part they play electronic something something like video game is so kids play video games but this model shop man continues to sell these very complicated models the next site i'd like to show you is a psychic where I explore father-son relationship because I wanted to really understand what it is like for a son and a father to relate to each other my fishy did not commit that hoodie mr. them go to cheer up stuff oh and she not please every year we pick anything this year's theme is movie stars there's no hay stubble is that these are called for a couple nights we like a wrinkly is agreed if everything's made by Harry gave up another disc ago we are professionals so every year there are things that go well and other things that we want to enhance the head I never call you to make a palace juice I may be exaggerating a bit but every year we gain more know how to do it was I need to know how you been oh that's nice today so say I play at all she goes with a mess today my father started making guide nine years ability first I wasn't sure I wanted to help in your comfy but gradually became way more fun the next site is where we look at mother-daughter relationship in his culture Thank Ozma single sign-on it was honest I know do you worry about the next generation I your child of Jeremy no no no she works for a company so it's not so far we've ever our children's happiness more than 0 when that began his dick I wouldn't want her to suffer like me it's ok now but i mean i was younger i cried italy that way no one is looking this is Tanaka who you just saw was the only woman that we found at the fish wharf where we were looking for someone the interview and she gave us this fascinating story oh but it's like for a mother to worry about her daughter in this time of change the final site I like to show you is the star festival site every time has a festival with some sort and my home town has the star festival the star festival is an old Chinese myth is the Romeo and Juliet of Asia a boy and a girl fall in love from the wrong side of the tracks their families upset and so they toss the boy and the girl into two different constellations thinking that they would never never meet again and unbeknownst to the families the two constellations come together in July of every year on the seventh day of the seventh month as the myth goes and so star festival is to celebrate their coming together in my hometown the star festival is a very big festival and among many many things that that you find in the festival they are Queens star festival Queens so let me show you that okay well I hope you got some idea what the star festivals heating rom is like keep in mind that the CD ROM is about Japan but the reason why I did this was because I had to answer the question Who am I am I japanese-american the whole idea of star festival is that it's a model by which you tell your own story so once you book a star festival then you can think about the question that you want to have answer and the question may be the same thing that that I ask myself Who am I but maybe some other question there are lots of people using star festival all through the united states and even abroad and there are lots and lots of questions that people are asking and they're using this star festival as a model finally another thing that's important is that all of these stories that are generated as a result of using star festival as a model become a communal communal story so people share what they what they create with star festival so there are stories about Chinese Americans their stories about Latino Americans and on and on just a very important part of star festival just as I'm sharing my story with you I would like for it to share your story with me and with others who are doing exactly the same thing that you will be doing well I hope you enjoy using star festival and do let me know the question that you're trying to answer
Comments
Post a Comment